Conversations I have with my friends, busy moms, working women building businesses, all go the same. We all recognize that we need to prioritize self care. We need to make our mental health a priority. We need to set boundaries and make plans and rediscover ourselves as woman who have aspirations and dreams outside of raising kids, building a career and managing a home. BUT no one has time.
The reality is, we need to make time. Burnout is real af for women, and especially working moms who have so many irons in the fire, it's almost impossible to figure out how to carve any time out for yourself.
So, what if there was a way to break free from the hustle, reclaim your time, and prioritize self-care and happiness?
Today I'm sharing some tips on how to manage your time more effectively with some of my favorite resources and time freedom tips and empowering you to live a more fulfilling and joyful life.
Time is not a renewable resource, so let's reclaim it and start using it for things that truly matter to us, like our own self care and well being.
Game-Changing Strategies to Reclaim Your Time
Find Your Favorite Time-Saving Tech & Services:
Ditch the grocery store grind and free up hours with services like Instacart, Amazon Fresh and Walmart + which are all convenient delivery services. I literally could not live without Instacart, and I've used both Amazon Fresh and Walmart + as well. A trip to the grocery store can easily eat up 1-2 hours, considering travel time, shopping, and waiting in line. Instacart can significantly reduce this to about 20-30 minutes for placing an order and receiving the delivery. That's a potential time savings of 1-1.5 hours per grocery trip!
Skip the checkout lines with curbside pickup. You'd be hard pressed to find somewhere who doesn't offer curbside anymore. I use it at Target, Ulta, Sephora, Walmart, HEB, Home Depot, Lowe's...you get the picture. This service streamlines the process of picking up pre-ordered items from stores. Instead of roaming around the store, you can simply drive up, have your items loaded into your car, and be on your way. It's a quick and efficient way to handle errands, saving you an additional 10-15 minutes compared to traditional in-store shopping.
Reclaim precious hours in the evening with meal delivery services like Hello Fresh, and Blue Apron. These time-saving wonders not only free up your schedule but also reduce mental strain and boost your overall well-being. No more meal planning, grocery shopping, or cooking! Meal delivery services eliminate these time-consuming tasks, potentially saving you several hours per week depending on how many meals you replace with delivery. They can also seriously impact your health and well-being by helping you to make healthier choices without spending time on meal planning and preparation. This can positively impact your overall health and energy levels.
Reduced Stress and Mental Load: Outsourcing these daily chores can significantly reduce the mental load associated with running a household. Knowing that groceries or meals are taken care of can provide a sense of relief and allow you to focus on your well-being, family, or personal pursuits.
Increased Quality Time: By streamlining daily tasks, these services contribute to the creation of more quality time. Use this time to connect with loved ones, engage in hobbies, or simply relax and recharge. The reduction in mundane tasks allows for a better work-life balance, fostering improved overall well-being.
- Flexibility: With any of these two options you get to enjoy the flexibility of shopping for groceries from the comfort of your home or office, at any time of day. This is a lifesaver for those with busy schedules or unpredictable routines. Moms, are you sitting waiting for soccer practice to end? Killing time between dance performances during a competition weekend? Open your grocery app!
Leverage Technology as Your Personal Assistant
Step into the future with AI chatbots like Bard and ChatGPT, your new productivity and self-care allies. Imagine creating meal plans, managing to-do lists, summarizing information, and scheduling appointments with just a few voice commands. Technology is here to empower you, not overwhelm you.
- Task Management: Create to-do lists, set reminders, and receive proactive suggestions for prioritizing tasks based on your schedule and deadlines.
- Meal Planning: Discuss dietary preferences, restrictions, and goals with the AI bot. Receive personalized meal plans with recipes that align with your preferences and nutritional needs, and generate shopping lists based on the meal plans for added efficiency.
- Scheduling and Appointments: Delegate appointment scheduling to the AI bot. Receive reminders for upcoming appointments and events, and sync your schedule with other devices and calendars for seamless organization.
Beyond ChatGPT, consider these AI technologies:
- Google's Bard: Similar to ChatGPT but with access to the latest information and the ability to perform actions on the web.
- Siri (Apple's Virtual Assistant): Integrates seamlessly with Apple devices, performing tasks like sending messages, setting reminders, and providing personalized suggestions.
- Amazon Alexa: Acts as a voice-controlled personal assistant, helping with tasks like creating shopping lists, setting alarms, and controlling smart home devices.
AI tools can quickly perform tasks, freeing up time for more important activities.
- Personalization: AI can understand individual preferences, providing personalized recommendations and solutions.
- Multi-Tasking: AI can handle multiple tasks simultaneously, allowing users to focus on more complex activities.
- 24/7 Availability: AI is available around the clock, providing assistance whenever needed.
By integrating these technologies into your daily life, you can streamline tasks, reduce stress, and carve out more time for the people and things that really matter. And YOU need to be at the top of that list.
Regaining time by managing digital distractions is a common goal for many of us. Here are 2-3 practical ways you can reclaim HOURS in your day. According to studies, the average daily screen time for adults worldwide is around 3-4 hours. However, this can vary significantly based on individual habits and age groups.
Social Media Usage: On average, people spend about 2-3 hours per day on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok. Cutting down on social media usage can free up a significant amount of time.
Email and Messaging: Checking and responding to emails and messages can consume a substantial portion of daily screen time. Individuals may spend 1-2 hours on email and messaging apps on average.
Gaming and Entertainment: Time spent on gaming and entertainment apps varies widely. Some individuals may spend an hour or more playing games or watching videos on their smartphones each day.
News Consumption: Reading news and staying updated can take up around 30 minutes to an hour daily, depending on individual preferences.
Pro tip! Set realistic goals and gradually implement these changes to make them sustainable. Tracking your digital usage through apps or features on your device can provide insights into your habits and help you make informed adjustments.
- Set Specific Time Blocks for Digital Activities: Allocate specific time slots for activities like checking social media, emails, and news. For example, reserve 15-30 minutes in the morning and evening for catching up on emails and social media. Limiting the time spent on each digital activity can significantly increase your available time. Cutting down on excessive social media scrolling or constant email checking can save approximately 30 minutes to an hour each day.
- Implement Do-Not-Disturb Periods: Designate certain hours of the day as "Do-Not-Disturb" periods. During these times, turn off non-essential notifications on your phone or set it to silent mode. This helps in focusing on important tasks without constant interruptions. Avoiding the constant buzz of notifications can enhance your productivity and gain an additional 30 minutes to an hour each day, as your focus and efficiency improve.
- Establish Tech-Free Zones: Designate specific areas or times as tech-free zones. For instance, during meals, family time, or before bedtime, create a rule to put away digital devices. This not only reduces digital distractions but also promotes better relationships and quality sleep. Eliminating distractions during these periods can gain back at least 1-2 hours per day. This time can be spent on more meaningful activities or self-care.
If you choose one or two of these strategies and give them a go, you could automatically add several hours back into your week. Just like that, POOF! Like MAGIC! Time landing right in your lap, screaming for you to use it for something that makes so much more sense to you and your mental and self care practices.
These are just a few of my personal faves. There's a whole world of time-saving wonders waiting to be discovered. So, experiment, find what works for you, and don't be afraid to reach out to me for more ideas!!
This journey to reclaiming your time and prioritizing self-care is yours to own, but not alone. I'm here.
Want to dive deeper?
- Listen to the podcast episodes 15 and 16 on Apple Podcasts.
- Subscribe to the podcast for more inspiration and actionable strategies
- Download my free Self-Care Starter Kit, which includes more time freedom hacks.
- Find me on socials, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok
P.S. Don't forget to share your own time-saving tips and tricks in the comments below!